[Coco] Frustrated in Seattle

Bruce W. Calkins brucewcalkins at charter.net
Fri Mar 14 05:58:21 EDT 2008

>> It is not possible to make /d0 the 3.25, since I need to boot
>> NitrOS9 from floppy, but I could explore booting from
>> DriveWire assuming DriveWire allows using it's floppy drive as drive 1
>
> Nitrso9, with the right format, can boot from a 3.5" disk.
> I believe there is a boot module replacement in the release
> that will allow that.

I have been booting OS-9 from a 3.5" disk for over a decade.  One drive box
has a 5.25 & a 3.5 on a switch as drive 0.  I can use one or the other as
boot.  I can also boot from one, change the command and working directories
to drive 1 or 2 and switch drive 0.  From 3.5" to 5.25" the media descriptor
works fine, if I switch from 5.25" to 3.5" I need to change the track count.
DMODE CYL=80.

> Finding some 720 'DD' disks is the best bet.

This has been my experience.  No matter which capacity 3.5" drive I use,
1.44 media is not reliable when used as 720 media.

Bruce W.