[Coco] Frustrated in Seattle

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Mar 13 00:13:24 EDT 2008

On Wednesday 12 March 2008, Ed Orbea wrote:
> [...]
>knowledge, so I am asking for some help or guidance.
>My system is a CoCo3 with a Cloud-9 512kb memory upgrade
>Either a Disto Super Controller II or a Tandy Controller (26-3129)
>Roy's VGA converter
>NitrOS9, 6809 Level II, Revision Date: 2006-03-02
>DriveWire 2.0
>
>When I use either controller, and the correct drivers, I have absolutely
>no problems with 5.25 diskettes. I have a couple of different disk drive
>configurations
>(a) Dual 360k DSDD 40 track drives (standard 40dd descriptor)
>(b) Dual 1.2m DSHD 80 track drives (standard 80dd descriptor, but using
>5.25 DSDD media)
>(c) Single 360k DSDD 40 track & Single 1.2m DSHD 80 track (standard 40dd
>and 80dd descriptors)
>On all 1.2m drives, I have pins 1-4 taped over as per previous messages
>in this group
>
>I am aware that I am "fudging the system" by using 5.25 DSDD diskettes
>as 3.25 diskettes. The descriptor for these drives/disks shows:
>Format: CoCo
>Size: 3 1/2"
>Sect per Track: 18
>Track 0, Sect per Track: 18
>Physical Cylinders: 80
>Track Offset: 0
>Sector Offset: 1
>Min Sector Allocation: 8
>Recording Format: MFM
>Track Density: 135
># of logical cylinders: 80
>Surface: 2
>Interleave: 3
>And as I said, I have had absolutely no problems with any drives/media
>but in all cases I am using DSDD media.
>
>Now, I want to convert to 3.5" media. I have purchased several TEAC
>FD-235HF drives from a local PC recycler. The TEAC drive I an first
>attempting to use (I have cleaned it out and tested it on a Windows XP
>system, and it all works correctly) is the model 4291. This model has 10
>jumpers which can be seen at:
>www.teac.co.jp/dspd/product/magnetic/jumper/fd_jumper.html
>
>This drive is set as DS1. According to the specs on this drive, HA, HI,
>HO, and LHI are used to select density mode bu either interface pin #2
>pr High Density hole selector.
>(1) I have jumpered HI and LHI so the drive will set the HD level to LOW.
>(2) I have jumpered HA which should utilize the sensor
>
>Now, I am using HD (1.44 IBM type) 3.5" media, not 720 media. I have
>tried it with the density hole covered (with black tape) and uncovered.
>Regardless of the way I jumper the drive or cover/uncover the density
>hole on the media, the following occurs.
>(1) Format the media with a default 80dd descriptor (confirmed by dmode)
>(2) The format portion completes without any error
>(3) After entering a disk name (using any text) the verify portion starts
>(4) At 0058 (hex) error 243 is generated (this seems to happen just
>after the head does a "re-seek" (my word for what happens) and the
>errors continue until I abort the format

Humm, this would be sector 94 in decimal.  There are 18, 256 byte sectors per
side, 1 track= 2 sides=36, 2 tracks=2 sides, or 72, which leaves 1 side and 4
more sectors for the error to show up, and this makes no sense mechanically.

Please post the output of "dmode /d1" (or whatever drive it is addressed as
now)

>So, for those of you who are using 3.5" media with NitrOS9:
>(1) What floppy drives are you using (720 or 1.44)?
>(2) What media are you using (720 or 1.44)?
>(3) Did you modify your 80dd descriptor and if so what did you change?
>(4) Did you have to do any "jumpering" or pin-covering on your 3.5" drives?
>(5) What question do I need to ask, that I am ignorant about, and thus,
>don't know to ask?

Using HD media will make the drive turn up the record current if the hole
isn't covered, but in many drives it also retunes the data separator for a
500 kilobaud signal, and the coco can only do 250 kilobaud without mods to
the controller.  Those mods only work with 2 of the very early controllers,
the original shack, and one from Hard Drives International that used the
MB7788 fujitsu FDC chip.

HD disks used in a drive set for 720k will result in a weak recording that has
been known to fade away an hour to a month later, so its not really good
practice to cover the hole in an HD disk to use it as a DD disk.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)