[Coco] DriveWire with modern laptop?

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Wed Mar 5 00:09:06 EST 2008

I'm trying to find out if anyone uses the DriveWire system with a
laptop having no built-in serial port, using a USB to Serial adaptor.

My IOGear adaptor seems to insert COM5 into the ports instead of a
1,2,3, or 4.  I haven't found a way to disable those ports in hopes
that the adaptor will appear as a typical COM #1-4 that older
software can use.  Some modern software only allows using 1-4 as
well.  I'd like to know if the PC side DriveWire server can use COM
ports above 4 before purchasing the product.  The adaptor itself
works just like a COM port, and claims to be compatible with anything.

This was aimed at the list for a reason since I know there are lots
of users of DriveWire out there who might have different setups.