[Coco] maps

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Jul 27 14:05:01 EDT 2008

On Sunday 27 July 2008, Larry Osborne wrote:
> [...]

I do when I kill it, reload, and use the plus button instead of the scroll
wheel.  Apparently when you zoom using the wheel, it zooms centered on the
pointer rather that the entered co-ordinates.  With a 60-70 foot wingspan its
too big to be a twin beech & a little too small to be a convair 580.  With
the tail out of place, its hard to ID for sure.

Google was many pages down when I found this:
This took place back in 1981 carrying drugs to Miami. The aircraft suffered
engine failure shortly after taking off from Runway 14 @ Sebring Regional
Airport. The Pilot tried to land the aircraft in an open field north of the
lake but skidded into the shallow waters of the lake. All passengers and crew
walked away.

But still no ID on the aircraft itself.  Ahh, another 20 minutes of wading
through the swamp called Google, and found this:

<http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1015305/>

So its a "Type: 	De Havilland DH.104 Dove 6BA"

That lake seems at least a mile from anything civilized.  Zoomed back out, one
can see the dredging operations tracks as they have attempt a partial cleanup
by dredging out a couple of feet of muck from too darned much fertilizer and
laundry soaps man is putting into the environment.  That airplane may have
been mostly underwater till the drought.  OTOH, would that not leave a coat
of algae that would have, in 27 years, discolored the paint?  Odd, says he to
no one in particular.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)