[Coco] [Color Computer] Coco on the 'net

Chuck Youse cyouse at serialtechnologies.com
Sun Jul 20 09:47:00 EDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-07-20 at 09:25 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Sunday 20 July 2008, Neil Morrison wrote:
> >Have you seen http://www.startty.com/ ???
> >
> >Neil
>
> Interesting, I wonder what their business model includes besides selling the
> networking hardware?  Even that seems pretty low key.  Nowhere on the page can
> a working order link or a price be found.

They're not selling anything.   All they're doing is providing a
text-based Internet service to generate ASCII data for your display.
Hooking up to the Coco or any other device is done through a
bog-standard Lantronix or similar RS232-remote-management device.

If you want to put all the network hardware and software in an external
device, and hang it on a serial port on an 8-bit micro, limit yourself
to a single fixed TCP session at a time, and then declare that the 8-bit
is 'networked,' go right ahead.  Doesn't fit my definition. :)

C.