[Coco] TC-9

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Mon Jul 7 23:00:23 EDT 2008

On 7 Jul 2008 at 18:02, Mark Marlette wrote:

> Chuck,
>
> There are free CPU cores, etc. Some have dabbled here but there is no
> GIME FPGA, others will say it isn't that hard, etc. Proof is in the
> pudding. If it isn't that hard, then do it, no time, busy, etc...Not
> implying you here.....There is a lot going on in the GIME.

Nope because there is no easy method of retro fitting an existing Coco3 that
is relatively cost effective, in my mind, or does not require soldering and
desoldering on the main board. FPGAs can offer a solution to obsolescence
of parts. One has to way the cost benifits of doing a FPGA replacement to
redesign.

The chip was somewhat complex. Especially for its time frame. Today it is a
rather simple chip.

> Some have booted to a green screen, etc but we all know that there is
> a lot of work in the details of a project and to get one that works,
> 95%+ of the apps requires a bunch of time. Details, details, details.
>
> Then the cost. Last I checked some of the FPGA prices were $250+. Sure
>  there are bigger, better and faster ones now but my point is the
> same.  This is a labor of love and small volume manufacturing costs
> more than  one would think unless they have lived it.

The Spartan 3 series are all under $100 single unit price. The Virtex line is
the definitely more costlier. The lower density chips are under $25 single
unit price. Moving to sub 100nM process has made the silicon much
cheaper and faster. I believe the Spartan 3 series is 90nM process. I have
even heard that 45nM process is just around the corner. I can remember
when cracking the 1 micron barrier was hailed as great feat. That was in the
80's. Darn that seems a long time ago now.

james