[Coco] Programs for NitrOS-9

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Wed Apr 30 00:10:31 EDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 12:46:45PM -0300, Diego Barizo wrote:
> I was thinking more on programs that run in OS-9, but not on NitrOS-9.

I can only speak of 6_8_09 nitrOS-9 here....

Some of the Level 1 programs that would tolerate Level II don't seem
to like NitrOS (level 1 or II).  Vshell (part of TS/Word), and Robot
Odyssey come to mind.  Vshell bombs out with error 207.  RO just
hangs.

As far as native LII programs, I've only had four problems:  zerog (on
rtsi) is a little vdg game that doesn't seem to work on NitrOS, But I
haven't tried it under 3.2.6, they may have tracked its problem down
and fixed it.  I've had some strange problems with Deskmate 3's mouse
handling.  And Sculptor crashes NitrOS when it exits (I don't know if
that's a problem under stock OS-9 or not).  One of the "cp" programs
on RTSI didn't seem like NitrOS, but that may have only been my
previous IDE drive slowly destroying itself, whatever software was
running off it.

Oh, and Color Computer Artist would like to have the second mouse
button back. ;-)

The only "custom" game kernel modules I know of were the drivers for
the VI and ftdd descriptors, and those are duplicated by VRN in
NitrOS.  Most of the games require VDG graphics (which does take some
hacking in 6809 NitrOS -- it's a code-size issue, and they're working
on it).

So, in my experience, out of all the megabytes of OS-9 code, there
are, like, 5 programs that have trouble with NitrOS-9.  Honestly,
that's a pretty damn good record.

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA