[Coco] Hard drive trouble

George Ramsower georgeramsower at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 22:22:29 EDT 2008

This question is directed to anyone that can help.

I played with this problem for a while, day before yesterday. I created
another new boot disk, wth older device descriptors and the result was the
same.
So I compared the device descriptors from various iterations that I have of
OS9 in different directories and they all match exactly as they should.

 Finally, want to show you a cmp of the h0 and h1 descriptors to see if
anyone has a suggestion as to why they both access the same drive. I've
tried this on two drives with the same result. I jumpered each drive as
h0.... well actually removed the jumper to make them h0. Only one drive in
the system each time.
 This is the Kenton SCSI card, Kenton driver. I don't remember where I got
the descriptors, but they used to work. I used both drive on this machine
and used /h1 as a backup. If I made changes, I don't remember doing so.

 Here's a cmp of the descriptors..

OS9[t3]:cmp h0.dd.scsi h1.dd.scsi

 Differences

byte      #1 #2
========  == ==
00000013  00 01
00000016  80 81
00000022  B0 B1
0000002E  03 5C
0000002F  C5 D1
00000030  D0 B4

Bytes compared:   00000031
Bytes different:  00000006

 Is this the way they are supposed to be?

 In byte 016, the 81 gets changed to 80 in operation because it won't work
with an 81. That's the DNS setting.
 I'm pretty sure byte 013 is the actual SCSI ID. I have no idea what byte
022 is.
 The last three, I think are CRC stuff. Yes?

George

From: "richec"