[Coco] VCC and NitrOS-9

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Tue Nov 6 07:51:56 EST 2007

Roger Taylor wrote:
> It looks like the following setup allows a nice emulated NitrOS-9 system:
>
> VCC 1.14 CoCo 3 emulator
>  HD Drive 0 -> nitros9.vhd
>  FD Drive 0 -> Robert Gault's nitros9boot.os9 file found in his
> RGBDOS.zip file
>
> I'm using the standard Disk BASIC 1.1 ROM included with VCC.  I'm not
> sure what all RGBDOS does or if it's even compatible with the way VCC
> expects things to be, etc., but so far I've got NitrOS-9 coming up with
> King's Quest 1,2,3, Leisure Suit Larry, and the other newly-made Sierra
> games, so I'm pleased at the moment.

VCC has my emulator version of RGBDOS included within the emulator. (You
can find the copyright message is you scan the Vcc.exe file.) In fact if
the .vhd image on the site has not changed, it already has a NitrOS-9
boot drive included as well as a version of NitrOS-9 itself. It also
contains some of my utility programs so you really don't need to go to
my web site. I think the boot is on drive 253 so all you need do is enter:
DOS253
You should find some of my utilities on drive 254.

The only problem with the .vhd image at the VCC site is that the
NitrOS-9 boot drive is not labeled. One of the features of RGBDOS is
placing a string in a disk directory so that it is shown by the DIR
command. The syntax is:
RENAME DRIVE drive number, "string to display"
So you might want:
RENAME DRIVE253,"NitrOS-9 hard drive boot"

If you want support for RGBDOS and how it boots OS-9, you need to
contact me not the VCC author. The Cloud-9 HDBDOS is modeled after the
original Ken-Ton RGBDOS so if anyone wants to "try out" a Cloud-9
system, RGBDOS on a emulator is the way to go.