[Coco] Brother Jeremy's OS-9 Level 3 (are you out there, Jeremy?)

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Thu Apr 12 21:39:35 EDT 2007

On 12 Apr 2007 at 17:52, Allen Huffman wrote:

> Microware did OS-9 Level 1 (flat memory model, everything in one
> address space), and OS-9 Level 2 (where memory could be remapped).
> CoCo 1/2 used Level 1 (64K) and CoCo 3 used the MMU to map in 512K or
> beyond in 8K blocks, thus Level 2 memory management.

**************

There was a version of OS9 Level 1 that was ported to work with 128K memory
map. Back in 1982 a group from the Motorola Schaumburg and Plantation
facilities did a port of OS9 Level I to work with a SBC that Motorola never brought
to market. In its original configuration, it  had 64K of base memory and another
32K of video memory. Also another 64K memory expansion was added. Most
who built the SBC used an adaption fo TSC Flex. There were some that ported
OS9 to it. By the way the SBC used a MC6809. Not the E version.

> I am not sure where Level 2 was used outside of the 6809 (original)
> version of OS-9.  Every other OS-9 and OS-9000 (today just called
> OS-9) made by Microware was Level 1 (flat memory model).

*********************
I thought that OS9000 was the first port of the 6809 version to the 68K? Or was
that the port to the x86? I know the 68000 version would garner the label of OSK.

> Level 3 was the NitrOS-9 gang's way to break up the 64K map a bit
> further, giving more memory for processes to use at one time. I ran a
> BBS (StG Net) and it REALLY helped -- the system could be loaded and
> I could run more commands from the same address space.  It took a hit
> on performance, but all the 6309 code and other optimizations
> probably made it come out similar speed-wise to a stock, unpatched
> OS-9 Level 2.

My understanding that Brother Jeromy and others were beta testing a to be
released improved version of Level 2 that was to enhance and correct some
issues with Level 2. I beleive much of Kevin Darlings work was to be incorparated
into the Level 3 release with some other features enhanced. This was never
released due to Tany's decission to cancel the CoCo. I thought the beta testers
were under a Non Disclosure Agreement. Then again as time has progressed
since this all happened and the legends and myths may have grown.

james