[Coco] CF/SD/MMC devices

Phill Harvey-Smith afra at aurigae.demon.co.uk
Thu Apr 26 14:59:18 EDT 2007

Steve.Lancaster at Moorestephens.com wrote:
> Dear Coco Nuts
>
> Going off at a tangent on the Coco theme a little here.
>
> Does anybody know if there are any CF / SD / MMC devices or card readers
> available for other computers.
>
> I own two - a GoMMC for the BBC Master and a MMC 64 for the Commodore 64.
>
> Does anybody know if there are any more?

Welll.....one of the projects that I have planned is some sort of Dragon
  /CoCo interface to MMC, using an AVR chip as a media controler, as it
can nativley talk SPI to the card, also with a suitable size AVR, it can
have filesystem code on there that could say deal with disk images, and
use an extended Drivewire like protocol to talk to the CoCo. This would
require some protocol extensions as the CoCo would need to be able to
tell the AVR to mount/unmount images, and get listings of them, create
new images etc.

I've been doing some preliminary work (on extending the protocol) with,
a USB->CoCo link using an FTDI245, which is a like an IO port at the
CoCo end and serial at the PC end, again using an extended drivewire
protocol. At the moment this is only working using Dragon SuperDos, and
only read-only, but it sure beats disks for speed.

BTW what exactly is the status of the Drivewire Protocol, I know it has
been published on the Cloud 9 site, and that there is an open source
server for it but is it ok to use if for this, especially as some day
I'd like to make the designs and source public ?

Cheers.

Phill.