[Coco] Linux box needs ethernet connection to router/web/LAN

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Wed Apr 25 00:10:01 EDT 2007

wdg3rd at comcast.net wrote:
> From: Mike Pepe <lamune at doki-doki.net>
>
>> Yeah, I may work at the evil empire, but I'm a linux guy at heart. My
>> first linux install was slackware 0.9, distributed on about 50 floppy disks.
>>
>> Ah, those were the days :)
>>

> Newbie.  I started with SLS, the precedessor to Slackware.  I'm too senile to remember the exact version, but it was a lot lower than 1.0.  Installed it from a 5.25" high stack of 5.25" floppies on a 386/25 with 4Mb RAM and an Oak VGA card so I didn't even consider getting X going that first time.  Command line was fine, i's how I spend most of my time.

I downloaded my SLS disks from Delphi.  11 1.44M floppy images.
Installed it on a 386/sx-40 w/ 16M RAM (I DID run X, such as it was at
the time) and two Seagate MFM hard drives that started life at 40M.  One
of them had had a R/W head fall off.  I took it to my (most emphatically
NOT) clean room, opened the case (look, it was a goner anyway), removed
the offending part, bent the head assembly arm out of the way, and
reassembled the drive.  When I formatted it I said it had 3 heads
instead of 4 -- which was absolutely true.  It formatted to 35 M, and
that was my swap space.  It continued working until I replaced both of
the MFM drives with an IDE.  I still have the SLS floppy disks, though I
couldn't say if they're still readable.

JCE