[Coco] My Linux is now online!

Roger Merchberger zmerch-coco at 30below.com
Tue Apr 24 16:42:48 EDT 2007

Rumor has it that Roger Taylor may have mentioned these words:

>Red Hat Linux 9.0 is ->  ONLINE !!!!

Neat!

>Google came up in Mozilla after I unchecked the "Device Alias Number = 1"
>setting in the Ethernet Device menu.

Oh, you're running the ooeyGUI... Never used that in RH9 - all I ever did
was servers with it, and ditched it after FC came out.

For ooey-GUI stuff, I prefer an older SuSE for older (1-2 year) hardware -
YaST is rather easy to use...

>I have some questions:
>
>What tools do I need for reading/writing reliable 360K CoCo floppy disks
>from Linux,

I've never done it, but IIRC it's not _insanely_ difficult, for varying
values of insanely. ;-)

>  and how well is the support for my 5.25" clunkers?

Awesome. It should read/write just about anything.

>How hard is it to get Samba (Windows<->Linux file sharing?) to work under
>Red Hat 9?

Which windows.... XP? SMB networking is a rather moving target, and to run
networking w/newer Winders OSs, you'll need a newer Samba implementation.
Yes, they've changed yet again for Vista, I don't know if there's a Vista
compatible samba yet... but XP and lower should work fine with the latest
Samba.

>I just issued "smbd -V" and it reports Version 2.2.7a so I guess I have it
>installed.  I remember adding all the packages I could when I first
>installed RH from the CDs.

At the main samba site, they have _almost_ the latest Samba (version
3.0.24) available for RH9 as an RPM here:

http://us4.samba.org/samba/ftp/Binary_Packages/RedHat/RPMS/i386/9.0/

If memory serves (which usually doesn't - my DRAM refresh cycles are spotty
at best lately) rpm -U nameofnewersambarpmpackage.rpm should update the
samba package - but man rpm would be prudent before trying that.

;-)

HTH,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger  --  SysAdmin, Iceberg Computers
zmerch at 30below.com

Hi! I am a .signature virus.  Copy me into your .signature to join in!