[Coco] yahoo groups

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Apr 21 19:01:50 EDT 2007

On Saturday 21 April 2007, Mike Pepe wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> This is off-topic, but it needs to be said.
>>
>> Anyone who is dependent on yahoo groups needs to resign from the coco list
>> there and take your coco related email from maltedmedia.
>>
>> I added about 5 of their server boxes to the list in procmail that goes
>> to /dev/null and cut my spam intake by at least 75%.
>>
>> But that cost me that mailing list, along with a couple others.  So I
>> nuked them back out of my recipes, but its not going to last long at the
>> present level of spam being served from their servers if the
>>
>> If anyone knows how to get yahoo's attention, and actually get their tech
>> support (now there is an oxymoron for you) to admit they are serving it up
>> in record numbers, because the traffic here, and the net surveys published
>> all confirm their supremacy, I'd like to hear about it.
>>
>> If not, I will slowly extract their addresses out of the incoming trash
>> and add them back to my procmail recipes.  So if messages to me via the
>> yahoo groups list seem to be going into a black hole, now you will know
>> how to contact me again.  On Dennis's list which I'd like to thank him
>> for.
>
>Gene,
>
>Not sure if this has been answered elsewhere, but Yahoo may not be the
>real culprit here.
>
>I'm not sure if you have access to your MTA's log, but it would be
>interesting to see if the spams are *really* originating from a Yahoo
>server, or if they are being spoofed.
>
>Obviously a great deal of people use Yahoo mail/groups, so in order to
>catch more user whitelists, a spammer could very easily forge some
>X-origination headers and ensure their cruft makes it past more spam
>filters.
>
>In a way it's not much different when they decide to send out hundreds
>of thousands of spams with your email address as the sender. Just about
>any header can be spoofed.
>
>The actual connection's IP address would really tell a better story. See
>what the logs say.

If I'm understanding what you are saying, then there are only 3 IP's I can
depend upon, in this case incoming.verizon.net, gmail.google.com and
wdtv.com.  Those are the last servers in the chain of how a message actually
gets to me.  I'm not running a server other than my own local sendmail.

I do have, when its up (not often, nothing on it 99% of the time), a web page
<http://gene.homelinux.net:85> served from here but its not on a std html
port address because vz, in their quest to play micro$haft and lock you into
their servers, blocks port 80.  Their tech support has apparently been told
to deny that because it would take them out of the fcc's common carrier
category & bring into effect a lot more rules & regs they'd have to live by,
but no one has been able to make a port 80 addressed web page work on vz yet.

And the fcc, despite having some very smart people working for them, are
largely enjoined from doing any actual checking to see if the common carrier
status vz & friends enjoy is actually being made available or not.

Like most monopolies, vz's public face, and their private face, have no common
dna in their geneology.