[Coco] OT: Mouse balls service bulletin

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Apr 1 21:28:33 EDT 2007

On Sunday 01 April 2007, Bob Devries wrote:
>Mouse balls & Mouse Balls Inspector
>If a mouse fails to operate or should it perform erratically, it may
> need a ball replacement. Mouse balls are now available as FRU (Field
> Replacement Units). Because of the delicate nature of this procedure,
> replacement of mouse balls should only be attempted by properly trained
> personnel.
>Before proceeding, determine the type of mouse balls by examining the
>underside of the mouse. Domestic balls will be larger and harder than
>foreign balls. Ball removal procedures differ depending upon the
>manufacturer of the mouse. Foreign balls can be replaced using the pop
> off method. Domestic balls are replaced by using the twist off method.
> Mouse balls are not usually static sensitive. However, excessive
> handling can result in sudden discharge. Upon completion of ball
> replacement, the mouse may be used immediately. It is recommended that
> each person have a pair of spare balls for maintaining optimum customer
> satisfaction.
>Any customer missing his balls should contact the local personnel in
> charge of removing and replacing these necessary items. Please keep in
> mind that a customer without properly working balls is an unhappy
> customer.
Unforch for the mice, they've been emasculated by the optical methods now.
This 'service bulletin' is quite old, and appears to be a 4/1/xxxx joke
that will never die as long as some of us remember the trouble dirty
mouse balls were.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
I'm sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.