[Coco] OS-9 / NOS-9

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Fri Oct 13 20:10:11 EDT 2006

Chester A Patterson wrote:
> The rig worked as is perfectly 12 years ago (CC3-512, MPI, B&B XT
> Interface with DTC-5150, CRC mini FDC, Teac 5.25" 360k, Sony 3.5" 720k)
> I had it booting from the ST225 no problems (B&B XT ROM) The BBFhdisk I
> took from the original release disk (I have original release disks for
> several B&B OS9 products, unfortunately RSB went belly up though)  The
> /H0 descriptor is the one I made 16-17 years ago with ddmaker that
> worked perfectly then, and works perfectly now under OS9L2. Ident shows
> no problems either under OS9 or NOS9 for the driver and descriptors.
> Under OS9 we used to load BBFhdisk and descriptors all the time, just to
> test drive systems we put together (we sold many) and this worked fine.
> Just to format and test access. For permanent installations we ezgen'd
> the dr/dd combo in right after RBF. Which is what I want to do with
> NOS9. I wanted to test how it worked before doing this, hence the loads,
> which give me "No Permission" Drat!
>
> The NOS9 version I downloaded fresh a couple of months ago. I'll recheck
> that Burke directory thing, I know I ident'd a module in there to see if
> it was BBFHdisk and a generic descriptor but it was a single module, so
> I don't know what it is, perhaps a driver for something else.
>
> The ST225 I had to re-format (horrors! I lost so much there) some months
> ago when I first fired up the rig after a dozen years. It reported and
> continues to report no errors or problems. Runs great under OS9 (just
> those dang seek and read errors all the time with the floppies, is
> really why I need to move completely to NOS9 ASAP)
>
> I religously park my ST225 after every session.
>
> I thought perhaps something to do with the revision level? Or could it
> be the date?

OK, the hardware should be good and you are using the same driver &
descriptor as used previously so they also should be good.

If you have accurately described the method for loading the driver &
descriptor (which seemed to be as individual files) that will be a
problem. You really need to merge them into one file with execution
attributes set; for ex.
merge bbfhdisk.dr H0_ST225.dd >hdisk
attr hdisk e pe
load hdisk
iniz /H0

Then try reading the hard drive and report what the results are.