[Coco] OS-9 / NOS-9

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Fri Oct 13 10:28:36 EDT 2006

Chester A Patterson wrote:
> Hello. Have ST-225 Burke and Burke system, CC3-512k, MPI, CRC mini
> controller.
>
> OS9 gives me seek and read FDD errors all the time. NOS9 does not.
> Must be that BLOB thing discussed here some time ago. Never had that
> problem before!
>
> I Boot NOS9 from 3.5" 720kb (made on a 1.44 PC FDD)
> Just to see if I can access /H0, I try to load bbfhdisk.dr and
> H0_ST225.dd from /D1
> but get No Permission error. Attr on both files is --e-w-ewr
> Why won't they load? How to solve this?
>
> I notice in the NOS9 directories on the boot disk that there is a module
> named Burke.
> What is the purpose of this file?
>
> I DO plan to move to all the new hardware eventually, however I really
> want to make certain I can get this old rig up and running, and get
> re-accostomed to working with a Coco after over a decade.
> I've got several other hardware problems but right now this is the main
> one.
>
> I appreciate your help! Thanks.
>
> /Chester

Please specify which version of NitrOS-9 you are using. It reads like an
original Gale Force v1.22 rather than any current version from nitros9.org.

If it is an original version, Burke is not a module but a directory
containing several bbfhdisk.dr drivers.

There are several issues here. 1) Will the CRC controller work with the
B&B hard drive system? Do you additionally have a B&B controller and
have selected the correct driver for it?
2) You can't just separately load bbfhdisk.dr and H0_ST225.dd and expect
them to work. At the very least, they must be merged into a single file
with the e pe attributes set. Are you sure that H0_ST225.dd is the
correct descriptor for the bbfhdisk.dr driver?