[Coco] Off List?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Nov 23 10:44:45 EST 2006

On Thursday 23 November 2006 10:22, Leonard wrote:
>Wasn't there a Os-9 package for the Atari, or was it the amiga?  Where
> would you get something like that today?  Is it even available, or
> could Nitro Os-9 be made to run on these systems?

There was a package for the amiga, sold by a (Comp. Sci.?) Prof. named
Digby Tarvan, an aussie. I saw his name on a linux mailing list a year or
so back and asked if were the same, and he said he was and explained the
outragious pricing. It's cost was mandated by per seat charges by
MicroWare at the time, there was a considerable upfront cost to him of
many thousands.  Obviously he never recovered his costs, and there was no
support at all from MicroWare.  He wasn't bitter over it, but was what
one could call considerably smarter about such deals now.  Since
MicroWare is no more, and effectively os9 from them is no more, I have no
idea if that code could now be forked and brought uptodate legally or
not.  Or for that matter if there is even a copy of it in the states
today.

As for the atari, I didn't follow that scene so have no knowledge of an
atari version.  TOS may have been better for that hardware but again I've
not played with it.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)