[Color Computer] Re:[coco] www on coco

Mike Pepe lamune at doki-doki.net
Thu Nov 9 10:21:26 EST 2006

George's Coco Address wrote:

Hey George,

Don't underestimate the complexity of this request. The TCP/IP stack is
a very complex and sophisticated suite of interdependent protocols and
programs. Xmodem and Ymodem are packet based, but are intended for the
single purpose of moving files via serial connection.

Needless to say, if you're not familiar with how the whole process works
you're not going to understand in a quick email, but trust me when I say
that it would be a lot of work for little reward.

To handle the IP stack, and on top of that the PPP layer you'd need to
talk to a dialup connection would be so painfully slow that I would
seriously doubt the CoCo could respond to simple keepalive packets fast
enough to convince the ISP that there's actually something working on
the other end.

Writing out, reordering, and defragmenting IP packets on a floppy has
it's own set of challenges, not the least of which is the fact that
pretty much everyone has a halting floppy controller, etc. The latencies
involved are so great that they would exceed the time to live (TTL) of
the sender's packets and they would be assumed to be discarded.

The only reasonable way to get this to work would be with some sort of
hardware device, as was discussed earlier, which would consist of an
ethernet physical layer and an MCU with TCP/IP firmware which could
communicate with the CoCo. However, there's really very little
difference in my mind between doing this and just attaching the CoCo via
  serial port and using it as a terminal.

By the way those little Ethernet MCU dongle things are pretty pricey,
I've seen them go for about $300 each from Rabbit.

So, would it work? Maybe in theory, but for practical purposes, getting
the CoCo on-line with dialup is probably not going to work. And even if
you did, there would probably be so little available CPU time to run
applications the experience would not be a fun one.

The practical upshot of all this is, if you want a computer with a slow
IP stack, just use Windows. At least you don't have to write it.

-Mike