[Coco] Trouble with OmniFlop

Roger Taylor webmaster at coco3.com
Fri May 26 23:36:45 EDT 2006

At 10:04 PM 5/26/2006, you wrote:
>Roger Taylor wrote:
>><snip>
>>
>>What kind of problems are you guys having?  The docs say that OmniFlop
>>doesn't work with laptops not having internal floppy controllers.  So USB
>>floppy drives are not supported right now.  I haven't had any problems at
>>all on my desktop PC.  I use Windows XP and OmniFlop can
>>read/write/format CoCo floppy disks of all sorts, single- and double-sided.
>>Please go through the listbox and notice how many CoCo formats there
>>are.  I don't know why the author lists these formats under so many name
>>variations, but keep trying all of them until one works.
>>

>Roger,
>
>Which version of OmniFlop are you using? I'm trying the 2.01h version
>and none of the Coco formats work for me.
>
>A MF2DD 3.5" disk formatted either with 35 or 40 tracks on a Coco under
>disk Basic can't be read by OmniFlop. The same disk formatted by
>OmniFlop can't be read on the Coco as several tracks are mis ID'd as
>track 18 even though they aren't that track.
>
>Further, a disk formatted on the Coco with a file copied to it and then
>formatted by OmniFlop, will still show the original file on a Coco from
>the DIR command. However, gran 20 (where the file was) is trashed as
>track 16 was ID'd by OmniFlop as track 18.
>
>I can eliminate the PC and Coco systems from this problem as the same
>hardware worked with DSKINI.EXE and RETRIEVE.EXE before I migrated from
>Win98SE to WinXP Home SP2. The PC software still works if I boot into
>DOS from a floppy, so again there is no hardware problem.

I'll check my version and get back to you on that, but I am reading all of
my 3.5" CoCo floppy disks using OmniFlop with no trouble.  These are disks
I made 10 years ago all on a real CoCo from OS-9 and Disk BASIC, some
single and some double-sided.

The formatting is apparently stepping all of the tracks (you can hear that)
and doing a DIR shows a clean disk with no directory.

--
Roger Taylor