[Coco] CoCo and SATA/USB drives.

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Thu May 25 16:14:35 EDT 2006

First off I have a BSEE and have worked in the design of consumer electronics
industry for 23yrs. Most consumers don't care how the internal works. Just that when
the instruction state plug one of the cable to this and the other end to that , turn on
and push a few buttons and everything works. Getting to that point is not magic. It
often takes a team of between 10 and 30 engineers and about a year to get the
software and hardware to that point. Also a boat load of money.

I have no problems with suggestions and ideas. It is through the exchange of ideas
where one grows in knowledge. Also many things are possible. Not all that is
possible is doable. There are many factors that make the possible less doable. Also
ideas do proceed the technology that can make such an idea a reality.

Anyone that suggested an IDE interface couldn't be done for a COCO didn't know
what they were talking about. Simple as that.

Furthermore what Roy has done is not what I would call a VDG (Video Display
Generator). Instead it would more properly be classified as a video convertor. As
that is what it does. It converts one format to  another.

Now as for USB. USB stands for Unified Serial Buss. It is no great magic that your
camera interfaces to a serial port. The small USB connector is a hardware solution
for a problem that USB encountered as speed reached beyond the upper limits of
RS232 Serial protocol ( ~ 115K baud). The strength of USB is not in the cable or the
connectors but i nthe software and the ICs that are used. USB was an afterthought
for WIndoze 95. MS didn't fully support USB until the release of W98/NT4.0.  So in
the PC world, USB has been fully accepted now between  8 and 10yrs.

Now for USB and the COCO. Yes USB implementation for the COCO can be very
difficult and consuming task. It also can be rather simple. It depends on ho wmuch
of the USB spec do you plan to implement. For starters I d oubt that there is a single
silicon solution that can implement the full USB 2.0 specification. Any attempt will
overwhelm the OS where it is RSBASIC or OS9. ALso irregardless of 6809 or 6309
chip. Now let's talk speed.  Full USB 2.0 480 kbps is only  doable with a limited
peripheral devices. Most likely just mice and keyboard or other pointing device. This
is due to the data packet sent from the peripheral is very short for these, the COCO
will never be able to take advantage of the full speed as the host silicon will have to
wait for the COCO to clear the internal buffer, usually a FIFO.

Designing the hardware is not an issue with me. It is my position that with the
current level of microprocessors used in the COCO,  only a partial implementation
of the USB 2.0 protocol is even doable. The software overhead to do more than a
key board, mice or even a printer is about the greatest extent of what the COCO
can do. Even that would be a vast improvement over the cumbersome keyboard
and mice setup of the COCO. Setting up a peripheral processor and su fficient
hardware,  then more devices could be added.

This all boils down to what the community wants and really needs. There are now
more alternatives than the Cypress chip solution that was mentioned about a year
ago. For myself, I can design some hardware and software. That is not much a
problem. Supporting it is. Expanding beyond just simple devices is a an issue. So
when someone states "you don't understand what it takes to implement....". They
are not just refering to the technology, but also support for sogtware and hardware
bug issues. Also for expansion of features and hardware. Often that can be more
difficult than the original design.

Yes there can be many thins that can be done with the COCO. Most
implementations will come down to cost and time to implement.

james