[Coco] Nitros9 Boot Disk "issues"

Ken Carlin carlin at nauticom.net
Tue May 23 11:30:13 EDT 2006

On Mon, 22 May 2006, Boisy Pitre wrote:

> Roger,
>
> I located a bug in the boot_1773 module that prevents it from booting
> properly from a single sided disk.  Ken Carlin was having the exact
> same problems as you and emailed me yesterday.  I eyeballed the
> source last night, and it turns out that a beq should be a bne, and
> because of this faux pas, the problem occurs.
>
> My thought at this point is to address this and any other issues and
> put out another release.  Really sorry about this guys; the fact is I
> don't test features that I don't use (like single-sided disks), and
> people are always checking in their changes which I usually only have
> time to eyeball.  True pre-release testing doesn't exist on this
> project, and that's probably because the size of the user base is
> quite small.  So you guys take the heat by being unwitting testers,
> fighting these problems and trying to diagnose them.
>
> While I feel really bad about this, I am unsure of how to alleviate
> the situation.
>
> So besides the single-sided boot issue, are there any other
> outstanding issues with the 3.2.6 release that are known?
>
> Boisy

Boisy:

No need to feel bad at all.  I fully realize that the end user is going to
be the tester as well.  It's just the reality of a small user-base.  I'm
just glad that there are people willing to still write software (or a
whole operating system!) for the Coco.

Truth be told, I kind of enjoy all this testing (I know, I'm strange).
Keeps the gray matter active.

To answer your question, wasn't there an issue with os9gen not working
correctly with HDB-DOS on this version of NitrOS9?  I'll know for sure
once I'm able to create a 35 track single-sided disk that boots.

Is there a patch I can apply to squash the bug?

Thanks,

Ken