[Coco] [Color Computer] What the hell is this ==> rjrttyat aoldot com

Roger Taylor webmaster at coco3.com
Sat May 13 03:29:16 EDT 2006

At 12:56 AM 5/13/2006, you wrote:
>Hi Roger,
>
>That's not the point here. "user", "domain" and "suffix" are just variables

In my example they weren't.  ;) I wasn't refering to a script.

I mean when people type out the phrase "me at server dot com", any 10 year
old programmer knows how to write a program that can turn that into
"me at server.com".

I got more technical when I mentioned people typing things like "you can
reach me at the big y and I'm cocotower".  Well, since there is a fad going
around with people using "at the big y", "at the y", "on the a", or "at the
a", etc., guess what, guys... any 10 year old hacker can match those
phrases to "@yahoo.com", "@aol.com".  Ofcourse, people use these phrases a
lot on the dating sites rather than their personal sites.

And for the JavaScript code that George says is foolproof... it's not the
actual script that's doing anything, it's the server that's translating
that mangled address into the real one.  Also, the best modern way to avoid
e-mail address harvesters is to use a script like PHP that makes the
visitor fill out a form that submits the message to another (or the same)
PHP script which in turn e-mails the content to the site owner.  Since a
web script cannot be seen as-is but only what it "renders", the e-mail
address is definately hidden and there's no other requirements from the server.

Anyway, how about some CoCo talk.  :)

--
Roger Taylor