[Color Computer] [Coco] PCCTS

James Diffendaffer jdiffendaffer at yahoo.com
Wed May 10 17:46:10 EDT 2006

>> GCC (at least the 4.x versions) builds and optimizes intermediate code
>> in a similar (same?) manner.  It makes targeting different CPUs a lot
>> easier.  Just implement the code generator calls and add rules to the
>> peephole optimizer.  I've learned quite a bit about modern compiler
>> consruction just from what I've done so far but I don't think I'd want
>> to write a compiler from scratch ever again.
>
>The thing about GCC is that it takes a lot of resources just to set
>up the compiler and use it.

No arguments there.
GCC is a PITA to setup for use on a Windows box under Cygwin.
Matching versions and downloading everything takes a time.  I wouldn't
wish it on a beginner.  I'm trying to use MinGW on the box I'm on at
the moment and it doesn't have the commands needed to build the
project I'm modifying at the moment.

For someone wanting to just play around with C on their CoCo GCC is
not the best answer.

>Also the 6809 code generator doesn't
>generate position independent code, so it would take some work to
>rework the back-end to do just that.

That could be implemented easy enough with the GCC peephole optimizer.
 The GCC 4.x code generator I was working on generates position
dependent code and I planned on using that trick for position
independent code.  There may be some conditions where this doesn't
work by itself.  Hmmm... maybe it would be better to generate position
independant code and use the optimizer if I want to undo it. <shrug>

http://us.click.yahoo.com/97bhrC/LGxNAA/yQLSAA/CFFolB/TM