[Coco] Nitros9 Boot Disk "issues"

Roger Merchberger zmerch-coco at 30below.com
Mon May 22 01:20:19 EDT 2006

Well, the "issues" I have is that I are stoopid...

I snagged the latest version of Nitros9, and I want to make "real" boot
disks for my CoCo3 setup to eventually transfer to Compact Flash on the
SuperIDE interface... but I have a few limitations, and this is giving me fits.

My PC system won't format a readable DS floppy with OmniFlop, but I can
write disks if they're formatted first on the CoCo; but as I don't have a
working Nitros9 boot floppy yet, I can't format a DS disk on the CoCo. So,
I'm limited to DECB for formatting which limits me to single-sided disks.

Yes, I *do* have Drivewire, yes I can boot nitros9 3.2.4 on it, no I
*can't* format real floppies on the system... When XP doesn't bluescreen
due to buggy Belkin USB->RS232 drivers (which I believe I've got the right
drivers now, but I've not tested it yet) the CoCo locks *hard* no later
than halfway through the format. :-( I've tried it *at least* 50 times with
the same result (yea, I'm a glutton for punishment) so there's got to be
some weird little timing issue or something with nitros9 3.2.4 and/or
drivewire and/or my hardware and/or the alignment of the planets...

I've taken the stock standard.bl file and made DS boot disks no problem,
but SS is just no worky.

I've tried creating new SS device drivers - is it safe to assume that
dmode'ing the /dd and /d0 drivers, save'ing them to a different disk,
copying them into the ../MODULES/RBF directory and calling them from the
standard.bl bootlist is all that's necessary to get a working device
driver, or am I missing something? (At first, I thought I was missing
something, until I tried making a boot disk with the supplied 35tk SS
drivers, and that won't boot, either.)

It shows:

KREL Boot Krn tb0.......

(Yes, that's 7 dots after tb0) and locks.

Now, *waaaaayy* back in the day, I could diagnose a failed OS-9 boot just
by the sound of the floppy drive, but I've been testing builds in the
emulator - faster turnaround. MESS .103, CoCo3 6809 ROM.

Any hints/tips/quibbles/quarrels/brickbats available out there?

Good thing:

My knowledge of OS-9 has improved immensely over the last few hours!

Bad thing:

My knowledge of 'edit' has improved immensely over the last few hours!

Is there a small freeware full-screen editor for Nitros9 out there
anywhere??? I'm spoiled by Jove on the Linux platform... rather like
nano/pico but with a more emacs-like key-command set, so moving to/from
emacs is effortless... However, I'd be more than happy to learn a new
keyset... I'm OK with vi as well, but AFAIK TS-Edit was never ported to the
80-column screen, was it?

Anyway, thanks any & all for help on trying to get this rascal over to the
"real thing."

Thanks & Have a good nite!
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

P.S. I have moved over the DriveWire RBF drivers to the Nitros9 boot disk
on the emulator - would attempting to make a DriveWire boot disk be as
simple as using the DW /dd and /d0 drivers to make a new boot disk? Would I
be better served trying this next? Or is the bootdisk crashing before that
point?

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger  --  SysAdmin, Iceberg Computers
zmerch at 30below.com

Hi! I am a .signature virus.  Copy me into your .signature to join in!