[Coco] legal to copy coco software ?

Roger Taylor webmaster at coco3.com
Tue Dec 26 22:41:12 EST 2006

At 08:25 PM 12/26/2006, you wrote:
>While it's not technically legal to copy and exchange "orphaned"
>software, there's no reason not to. As long as no one is
>complaining, and there is no legal way to get the software, I
>personally have no problem with it. That's why I released all the
>stuff I had rights to to the public domain several years after it
>was no longer feasible to market it. I wish others would have the
>foresight to do so rather then force the "survivors" who still like
>to use/play with the CoCo (nad other old computers) to contemplate such things.
>
>The issue really becomes a legal technicality and a moral issue as
>long as no one complains. Even if an author didn't want their work
>copied, all they can really do is have a "cease and desist" order
>given. They COULD sue, but would have to pay a lawyer to do so. They
>CAN'T sue for damages unless they can prove a loss in some form.
>Since there are no loses, especially not enough to pay court bills,
>there's little chance of being sued -- although there is still a
>small chance. I suppose a judge could fine you anyway, but if a
>complaintant can't prove any damages, I don't think a judge would
>fine anyone -- maybe order to pay court costs and discontinue. But
>stranger things have happened in US courts.
>
>Copy among yourselves and share software. I don't think there will
>be any problems.

Who would have known that the ancient Pac-Man game, and a handful of
other vintage popular Atari-type games would resurface in 200x into
those self-contained plug-n-play joystick units.  I wonder how many
vintage title owners are reserving their rights for decades the same
in hopes of bringing them back to life in a similar way?

I don't think the CoCo actually had many titles that weren't
knock-offs of already-popular titles that were available across
platforms.  I'd worry about those before anything else since they're
not owned by an individual programmer who has probably forgotten what
a CoCo is or that a community still exists.

I dunno.

--
Roger Taylor