[Coco] re:Learning to program

James Dessart james at skwirl.ca
Fri Dec 16 22:36:21 EST 2005

On 16-Dec-05, at 9:44 PM, Mannequin* wrote:

> No way in H, E, double hockey sticks is Python easier than BASIC. I
> doubt that
> as a 4 year old, I could have understood the thought behind Python
> even without
> it's OO constructs.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I like the idea behind Python, and I've been
> working to get
> a grasp on it from a BASIC, C, etc. standpoint. But I seriously do
> not believe
> it to be easier than BASIC...

I'll chip in here... I've been programming professionally, and doing
quite well at it, for over 5 years. My degree in computer science was
conferred with distinction. However, I still can't program in Python.
Try as I might, I just never was able to pick it up. I've managed
CoCo BASIC, VB and have gotten enough of a feel for other BASICs, but
Python never drew my attention much.

Granted, one of my favourite languages is Objective-C, but that's
because I've mastered C and C++, and have no problem with pointers,
et al.

Looked at Smalltalk once, taken a peek at LISP, Erlang and a bunch of
other funky languages, but of all the somewhat popular languages,
Python just hasn't had any draw for me.

--
James Dessart
http://skwirl.net