[Coco] Re: Thoughts about going back to school full time.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Dec 8 17:11:49 EST 2005

On Thursday 08 December 2005 16:26, jdaggett at gate.net wrote:
>Denis
>
>Engineering is a cluster *&^&. During the  hieght of the Hi Tech collapse
> with about 2 million unemployeed engineers, Congress expands H1B program.
> This allowed corparations to hire foreign engineers instead of rehire of
> older more competent laidoff engineers.
>
>Today you almost can't get into IC design without a Masters and preferably a
> PHD. Why the major change? 30 yrs ago most companies were not so top heavy
> in management with masters and PHD degrees. Today look at most of the CEOs
> of companies. They are at minimum have a MBA with another BS/BA degree.
> When Chris Galvin took over Motorola, the grandson of the founder,  he was
> the first Motorola CEO that had an MBA. He promptly ran the company into
> the ground. T hey finally had to fire him as CEO. He still sits on the
> Board of Directors.
>
>It is becoming a mandatory requirement to have some piece of paper that
> signifies a formal education. Does not mean it is worth the paper printed
> on. I have worked with engineers that had masters degrees and I personally
> don't think they know how to use that paper to clean their backsides.

I've had the displeasure of meeting several 'engineers' I'd have no trouble
imagining that of.  I remember the ones who do have some sense though,
because they are so obviously special.  At 71, I can still count those on my
fingers though.  Sad, is what it is.  Take a good read on that article
defining the reasons we'll need to learn chinese 15 years or less down the
road if we don't fix the present educational system, AND the current
compensation system.  Scarey.

When a certified genius at writing code chucks it all & goes back to school to
get an MBA because they are making 3-30x what he can, there is something
drasticly wrong with the picture it paints for our future.