[Coco] Re: Thoughts about going back to school full time.

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Thu Dec 8 16:26:38 EST 2005

Denis

Engineering is a cluster *&^&. During the  hieght of the Hi Tech collapse with about
2 million unemployeed engineers, Congress expands H1B program. This allowed
corparations to hire foreign engineers instead of rehire of older more competent
laidoff engineers.

Today you almost can't get into IC design without a Masters and preferably a PHD.
Why the major change? 30 yrs ago most companies were not so top heavy in
management with masters and PHD degrees. Today look at most of the CEOs of
companies. They are at minimum have a MBA with another BS/BA degree. When
Chris Galvin took over Motorola, the grandson of the founder,  he was the first
Motorola CEO that had an MBA. He promptly ran the company into the ground. T
hey finally had to fire him as CEO. He still sits on the Board of Directors.

It is becoming a mandatory requirement to have some piece of paper that signifies
a formal education. Does not mean it is worth the paper printed on. I have worked
with engineers that had masters degrees and I personally don't think they know how
to use that paper to clean their backsides.

james