[Coco] [Color Computer] Creating a DSK file on a real coco..

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Sun Dec 25 18:35:20 EST 2005

I don't know why you are having trouble so I decided to test the method
on my system. I slightly modified the basic09 program to make it run as
fast as possible. That was done by grabbing one track at a time rather
than one sector. The program was also PACKed so that it ran with runB,
faster than the original in Basic09.

Note that the program asks for an acceptable MESS extension and
automatically adds @ to the originating drive name.

The program was run on a hard drive system and the image file was
checked with ded. The image was an exact duplicate of the disk (double
sided 40 track). The file was transfered to my PC using OSTerm and
HyperTerminal. Average baud was 10100 and the transfer took about 6
minutes. The resulting file was an exact duplicate of the original and
booted using MESS.

Here is the basic09 program.

PROCEDURE vimage
DIM inpath,outpath,ext:BYTE
DIM track(4608):BYTE
DIM vfile,drive:STRING[30]
INPUT "Emulator image name; no extension: ",vfile
REPEAT
INPUT "Select extension; 1=.dsk, 2=.os9: ",ext
UNTIL ext=1 OR ext=2
IF ext=1 THEN
vfile=vfile+".dsk"
ELSE