[Coco] [Color Computer] Creating a DSK file on a real coco..

George Ramsower Yahoo at DVDPlayersOnly.com
Sun Dec 25 16:57:55 EST 2005

From: "Robert Gault"
Sent: Sunday, December 25, 2005 10:55 AM

> The extension .os9 should have worked. Since it did not, there is doubt
> that the image file is good. Do you have a Windows program that will do a
> raw read of files and display the content as dEd does under OS-9? If you
> do, you should look at the testing.os9 image to verify that it looks like
> an OS-9 disk.
>
> Actually there are 3 things to check. 1) Check the file created on your
> Coco using dEd. It should be the same as dEd sees on the real disk. 2)
> Make sure that the data transfer process from the Coco to the PC worked
> without garbling the contents of the file. 3) Check the file contents on
> the PC with a raw file editor.
>
> To expand on point #2, I use the OS-9 program OSTerm, an RS-232 pak, and
> HyperTerminal to transfer files between my OS-9 coco and Windows PC. The
> Coco transfer rate is set to 19200 and Batch y-modem format is used.
> HyperTerminal is set for 19200, VT100, y-modem transfers. Make sure your
> settings are compatable between Coco and PC in similar fashion.

 Okay, I studied the file and found there was a difference. The B09
generated file had 1024 bytes of stuff in the beginning of the file that the
disk does not.
 So I modified the routine to throw away the first four blocks of ...
whatever it was.
 Then I got a file that looks just like the disk. I used DED to look at the
disk and DUMP to look at the file.

 This done, I transferred the file to MESS and now I get a NO PERMISSION
error when I try to read it from OS9 in MESS
 The ATTR is  ----r-wr

 I tried to change it to d-ewrewr without success.

 This is (at least) a step in the right direction. At least now OS9 can see
it's there.

 Here's the current version of the B09 routing:
PROCEDURE MakDSK
DIM inpath,outpath:BYTE
DIM block(256):BYTE
DIM vfile:STRING[30]