[Color Computer] Re: [Coco] Learning to program

Ward Griffiths wdg3rd at comcast.net
Sat Dec 17 10:41:18 EST 2005

On 12/16/2005 11:37 pm, Neil Morrison wrote:
> FWIW, you can download free, fully working, non-expiring versions of Visual
> Studio .Net for the next year.
>
> Go to http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/support/install/
>
> and download the .iso images. Burn to CD and you can install as needed.
>
> Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition
> Visual Basic 2005 Express Edition
> Visual C# 2005 Express Edition
> Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition
> Visual J# 2005 Express Edition
> Some of these come with SQL Server or you can D/L it separately from
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/default.aspx
> I'm guessing there hasn't been an avalanche of people moving off VS6.

You'll see me in Hell before I touch a Microsoft Visual whatever.  Well, maybe
with a set of tongs, to move it onto the bonfire.

Unless you count BASIC ROMs, the only tangentially Microsoft OS I use is Tandy
Xenix.  (That will change when I find a T2k, but I won't be depending on MS
for support any more than I ever did with Xenix).

I'll admit I haven't mastered Python yet either.  Eric Raymond suggested
several years back (yes, in person, we've known each other in science fiction
fandom for quite a while) that I skip Perl and go straight to Python, but
Perl is more prevalent on systems I admin and I rarely have to get permission
to install a new language (per policies I set to CMA with management).
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd at comcast.net

I think boys might benefit from owning a Barbie doll; every young man
should understand what an expensive proposition it is to cohabitate with
a narcissistic woman built like a stripper.  --  Tony Woodlief