[OT] [Coco] Packin' heat

Ward Griffiths wdg3rd at comcast.net
Thu Dec 8 16:30:20 EST 2005

On 12/08/2005 03:45 pm, Ray Watts wrote:
> Hey, Ward!   General Stark may have first said it, but it is the inmates
> at the state prison who stamp it on the license plates. 8=)
>
> Don't recall ever reading about General Stark, but he must have been the
> one Ft. Stark, on the shore in Newcastle, NH MUST have been named after.
>  I remember as a little kid the 16" coastal guns firing from there and
> Ft Foster in Kittery Point for target practice.  They also held some
> German prisoners there.  Both Stark and Foster are now beach parks in
> their respective towns.

Yes, it's named after that very same General John Stark who supposedly cried
out those words during the Revolt Against Britain.There are is only so much
room for towns and other nameable places along the New Hampshire coast.  You
can walk from Massachusetts to Maine and back in less than a day unless you
stop to look at the scenery.  (In August, it's worth stopping to look at the
scenery -- lotta pretty ladies along that shore).

It's not like there are that many famous generals from New Hampshire.  In
fact, I think Stark is about the whole list.
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd at comcast.net

Madison said that tyranny would come to this land only under the guise of
fighting a foreign enemy. One hundred ninety-three years after his
unnecessary war with Britain, I must say he was right. -- Anthony Gregory