[Coco] OT: Thoughts about going back to school full time.

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Sun Dec 4 23:02:29 EST 2005

Jim

In the current climate I would state this based on personal
experience. IF one is over 50 yrs of age and contemplating a BSEE
or even a BSET to move and gain advancement with another
company is not a good decission. If you are doing it to advance
within the company you are working at then by all means go for it.

Right now if there are two engineers equally matched in skills, one
over 50yrs old and the other say 35 yrs old, the younger enginner
will win out. Simply because of cost of benefits.  To gain
advancement with in the company you work for is okay. To gain the
education to move on to another company and if you ar older than
50yrs old  will be a mistake.

There is not supposed to be age descrimination in hiring, but in a
quiet way there is. Proving it is far more difficult than it is worth the
time and effort.

In some circles the BSET is  not as prefered as the BSEE is.
Reasoning is the BSET has less math requirements. A BSEE will
have 23 semester hours of mathematics in a 128 hour degree
program. There are two courses that are not part of the BSET that
are apart of the  BSEE program. These are:

1) Analysis of Linear Systems
2) ElectroMagnetic Fields and Waves.

Linear Systems is the main course that separates techs from
enegineers. Heavy in theory and in math. Fields in Waves is to
some a brutal course as it requires visualization of three
deminsional concepts and mathematics. I just loved those triple
spherical integrals and gradients. Not to leave out Maxwell's
Equations either.

just my opinion

james