[Coco] [Color Computer] I.C. Identification

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Mon Aug 15 14:51:25 EDT 2005

Okay

The " SMC90142L"  is an internal part number most likely generated by Motorola.
The "L" suffix designates that the package is cerdip package. This part number is
coded and generated when a customer requests an IC that is not to any off the shelf
specifications or is a custom partt. This number Motorola assigns to the customer
and the fabrication lab knows what mask sets and function the IC is to have.

The "8040330" marking is most likely Tandy's internal part number markings.
It could also be used by Motorola for either one or all of the following; mask set ID,
fab location, or packaging facility.

Finally "8221" is the four digit date code. 1982 21st week.

As for what the part does that is difficult to say. This could be a custom IC to a
standard off the shelf LSTTL gate that has special voltage and/or temperature range
performance.

james