[Coco] NitrOS-9 on DriveWire diskette

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Tue Sep 28 17:10:52 EDT 2004

John R. Hogerhuis wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 13:09, Boisy G. Pitre wrote:
>

>>>Is the NitrOS-9 included with DriveWire intended for a 6809 or 6309?
>>>I can't boot the NitrOS-9 image with my CLOADM:EXEC, though OS-9 Level
>>>II boots perfectly. It crashes with the sparklies :-|
>>
>>Have you read the documentation?
>

> RTFM? Yes. Apparently you might want to take a look too.
>
> It doesn't say anything about 3 images.
>
 ><snip>

John,

There is some confusion because there are two sources of NitrOS-9 code
(excluding the original package.) This code is now part of the Cloud-9
package and also is distributed over the Internet from http://nitros9.org/
The Internet distribution has three sets of software. NitrOS-9 6809
LevelI, NitrOS-9 6809 LevelII, and NitrOS-9 6309 LevelII.

This information has been available in this newsgroup for some time, so
we tend not to repeat it and the url. Most discussions about NitrOS-9 in
this group will refer to the public distributions rather than the
Cloud-9 products of which one is DriveWire.

There is documentation both in the Cloud-9 package and the nitros9.org
site. The site also has source code for the NitrOS-9 system.
OS-9/NitrOS-9 does not approach the friendliness of Disk Basic, Windows
software, Mac-OS, or other popular systems. It is an embedded system /
hobbiest package and there is a fairly steep learning curve. Once you
are familiar with OS-9 you will like it but in the meantime be patient.
Long distance, non-realtime help usually does not go that smoothly.
There is all the help you could possibly want available through this
group but e-mail can be ambiguous.