[Coco] NitrOS-9 on DriveWire diskette

John R. Hogerhuis jhoger at pobox.com
Tue Sep 28 16:49:21 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 13:09, Boisy G. Pitre wrote:

> > Is the NitrOS-9 included with DriveWire intended for a 6809 or 6309?
> > I can't boot the NitrOS-9 image with my CLOADM:EXEC, though OS-9 Level
> > II boots perfectly. It crashes with the sparklies :-|
>
> Have you read the documentation?

RTFM? Yes. Apparently you might want to take a look too.

It doesn't say anything about 3 images.

The documentation on page 8 says there are two images:

nlevel2.dsk for NitrOS-9 Level Two and
level2.dsk for OS-9 Level Two.

There is no OS-9 Level 1 image, and in fact the documentation clearly
states in a note on Page 4 to ignore any references to Level 1 and that
NitrOS-9 doesn't support it.

The CD-ROM unpacks the following files:
DriveWire.exe
disk0.dsk
disk1.dsk
disk2.dsk
disk3.dsk
dwdos.cc3
cwire.dat
mfc42.dll
msvcrt.dll
nos9l2.dsk
os9l2.dsk

[some may have been created after running DriveWire, I don't know, but I
certainly didn't delete any...]

So the names don't match the documentation, but I presume

nos9l2.dsk is NitrOS-9 Level 2 for 6309 and
os9l2.dsk is actually not OS-9 Level 2 but actually NitrOS-9 Level 2 for
6809?

Anyway, although the manual doesn't say anything about it, I assume
nlevel2.dsk is actually NitrOS-9 Level 2 for 6309 and level2.dsk is
NitrOS-9 Level 2 for 6809.

I just bought this pack, so I'm not sure why your recollection and what
I actually have are out of sync...

>   There are three images on the CD-ROM
> that correspond to NitrOS-9/6809 Level 1, NitrOS-9/6809 Level 2 and
> NitrOS-9/6309 Level 2.
>
> > Also I tried to use the NitrOS-9 image (6809 version) off the web site,
> > but it fails at the DriveWire boot screen. Perhaps it doesn't have
> > DriveWire drivers in it?
>
> Your observation is correct.  Again, choose the right version on the
> CD-ROM.

Would be easier if the docs said much of anything about which dsk image
contains what...

Thanks,

-- John.