[Coco] Wireless CoCo?

John R. Hogerhuis jhoger at pobox.com
Wed Sep 22 01:38:20 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 18:20, Allen Huffman wrote:
> IRDA?  Is there an adapter that plugs into RS232 then goes into IRDA
> that would not require any IRDA protocol stack on the CoCo side?

The link I gave actually has info both about a self contained IRDA link
(protocol + serial adapter built in) and a unit with both IRDA and
bluetooth,

though I doubt the "IRDA stack" is a huge deal, there's probably some
simplifications that could be made for this purpose and source code is
freely available.

http://www.8bit-micro.com/trs-80-irda.htm

Personally I think if you really want wireless (I prefer to run ethernet
cable in my house), a home-built 802.11b router w/ serial port would be
the most fun/cheapest.

Also you could look around for a microcontroller.

I know the Linksys wireless router is hackable, since they used Linux
and released the source code. I wonder if it's CPU has a built in serial
port? Likely they don't bring out a serial connector, but if it has
serial capability you might be able to solder on a connector.

-- John.