[Coco] Wireless CoCo?

John R. Hogerhuis jhoger at pobox.com
Tue Sep 21 19:59:47 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 16:10, Allen Huffman wrote:
> Does anyone know of a bluetooth serial adapter?  Something I could plug
> into the CoCo, then it would talk wirelessly to my Mac?  Or some other
> form or wireless-to-serial device?
>
> I'd like to start xferring files to/from my CoCo without running cables
> across my house (and buying USB serial interfaces for the Mac).
>
> Thoughts?
>
> 		Allen

Since your Coco stays in one place, you could also consider making your
own serial<->wireless bridge.

You could set up old puter with Linux (that has a working serial port),
and add an 802.11 card in it.

There are various serial port redirectors Free Software that you can
find on Freshmeat.net that connect a virtual serial port to a TCP
connection.

I imagine even if you bought a second hand old pc (I buy working PCs
from Goodwill for $50) this would be < $100 in parts, assuming you don't
get gouged on the two wireless cards you would need.

With CSLIP running this would throw your Coco right in the middle of the
Information Superhighway.

-- John.