[Coco] running RSDOS games from hard drive?

Frederick D Provoncha elderpav at juno.com
Sun Sep 19 22:46:07 EDT 2004

> I'll throw in that my copy of Tutankam (same game?) by Dave Edson,
> from LCB's
> website, does work. I think all of Dave Edson's games worked, not
> only from HD,
> but launching them from within FOG.
>
> Sometimes after launching I get a spurious error message, lika a UL
> error in
> some nonexistent line... I've found that many times if I type EXEC
> (like the
> screen says to try) the program still works.

Strange. I double-checked to make sure, and Tutankam definitely is not
working for me when I load it off the hard drive. It works fine when I
load it off a floppy. Here is what I did & what happened:

Tutankam resides on Drive 36 on my hard drive. Here are the commands I
issued:
DRIVE 36
LOADM"TUTANKAM.BIN"
EXEC
The title screen successfully comes up. But then when I press 'R' to
start a game, the computer crashes quite spectacularly, with lots of
pretty colors on the screen. I then turn off the Coco, turn it back on
again, and then at the OK prompt I issue the following commands:
DRIVE 36
DRIVE OFF
I then insert a blank 5 1/4" floppy into Drive 0
DSKINI0
BACKUP 36 TO 0
When the computer finishes copying Drive 36 onto the floppy, I then issue
the following commands:
DRIVE 0
LOADM"TUTANKAM.BIN"
EXEC
The title screen comes up, I press 'R', and the game runs fine!

So the game works fine when loaded and run directly from a floppy (even
if the floppy was copied from the hard drive!). But if loaded and run
directly from the hard drive, it crashes the computer. Go figure.

Fred Provoncha