[Coco] OS9 Newbie Question

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Sun Sep 19 22:52:10 EDT 2004

Eric J. Rothfus wrote:

> I have diskette images for much of OS9, and I'd like to get
> it up and running on my CoCo III 128k.
By this you mean you downloaded some .dsk files from the Internet?

>  Could anyone take a
> moment to give me a quick primer on how to get it running?
> Just to the level of "use the XXXX disk",  "type DOS", "wave
> magic wand", etc.
>
> I have an image OS9Boot.dsk that I've tried to load with the "DOS"
> command from the CoCo prompt.  I get a "booting OS9" followed
> by a "Failed" message.
If you are using the .dsk image with an emulator, then the DOS command
should be enough. If you want to use the image with a real Coco, it is
very important to convert the image to a real disk correctly. This
conversion process seems to be quite dependant on the source of the .dsk
image. So, where did you get the image and exactly how have you tried to
convert it to a real disk?

> Being a newbie to OS9, I really don't know what I should be
> trying to boot, or what I should be expecting.
What you should see is the message "booting OS-9" and shortly a welcome
message plus an OS-9 prompt. The precise things you see depend on the
source and nature of the .dsk image. It is very important that the
version of OS-9 be at least Level 1.01.00 or Level 2 for it to work on a
Coco3.