[Coco] RGB/HDB-DOS drive swapping

Robert Emery theother_bob at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 19 13:12:15 EDT 2004

--- Robert Gault <robert.gault at worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> HDB-DOS can access more than one hard drive if Boisy has not removed
> this ability; RGBDOS can but only one hard drive at a time. The answer
> to your problem is simple but won't make the backing up of one hard
> drive to another easy. The answer is use a large RAM disk.

I'm just basing that assumption on WIZARD.BAS only askiing for information
about one drive, including whether it is Master os Slave. That and wodering how
it could divvy up the drive numbers. I've thought of some things.

> You can have a RAM disk that exists for low drive numbers, ex. 2 & 3,
> and use it to swap data between real floppies, RAM, and multiple hard
> drives. On my system, I have an 80Meg and an 11Meg hard drive and switch
> between the two via software without rebooting. The drives don't even
> have the same offset for Disk Basic. While I could backup via a floppy
> from one hard drive to the other, I can also do it via the RAM disk.

A RAMdisk is one thing I thought about... copy Master HD# to RD, switch to
slave, copy RD to Slave HD#. That would be *really* cool if the Slave was a
CDRW... haha, right after the flying pigs start a snowball fight in hades. ;-)

Bob