[Coco] running RSDOS games from hard drive?

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Sat Sep 18 16:27:38 EDT 2004

Robert Emery wrote:
> Something I've found now that I'm using HDB-DOS with a real HD... many games
> run fine from the HD, including most or all of Nick M's games (cool!) but many,
> even some that are a single binary file, lock up as they attempt to access the
> floppy drive.
>
> So I wonder if I go in and look for places where a program accesses $FF40 and
> just change that to $FF70, would that work? or is there more to it than that?
>
> Too bad we don't have HDB-DOS unravelled!
>
> Thanks,
> Bob Emery

This typically happens for one of three reasons, 1) the program tramples
on the HDBDOS region in low RAM, 2) the program contains its own disk
I/O routines, 3) the program hard codes the drive number for disk I/O.

Having "HDB-DOS unravelled" is not the answer. You need a disassembly of
the game or at least the sections that do disk I/O. What is/are the games?