[Coco] RS-DOS blows??? The hell it does!!

Fred Kolesar kkolesar at penn.com
Tue Sep 7 07:13:11 EDT 2004

> Yes, these unwashed masses still clinging to RS-DOS need to get with the
> program. In the year 2004, the cutting edge of 8-bit technology is all
> about NitrOS-9.
>
> Don't get left behind!

< That's not nice.

< I agree that NitrOS-9 is a great OS and certainly more powerful than RS-DOS
< but I prefer RS-DOS applications over their OS-9 counterparts.

< There are many very good RS-DOS based applications, tools and games for
< RS-DOS. I just find that RS-DOS programs are quicker, easier to setup, and
< many are quite professional for a computer such as the CoCo (Max-10,
< CoCoMax, great games etc).

< Sure, they don't multi-task, can't change devices so easily...but why would
< I want to anyway? If I want to type a letter, I run VIP Writer3 or Max-10
< and type it up (although nowadays I use a PC). If I want to run a game, I
< just stick the disk in (or ROM Pak) and run the game. Nothing else to setup.

< I'm on to my 3rd attempt over 15 years at getting to grips with OS-9 to get
< to the stage of actually being able to write software to the level that I do
< under RS-DOS. This time, I'm not going to let it drive me to insanity as it
< has in the past. I understand the rules I must abide by under OS-9 and I am
< giving myself more time to digest it all.

< Don't expect anything great from me though, I still play with RS-DOS and
< have many great ideas for new RS-DOS games but I do plan to learn and
< appreciate the other beauties that OS-9 provides...all in good time.

< I believe that each environment has something to offer to the CoCo
< community. It's all down to one's motivation to learn and create the
< applications under these environments.

< Nickolas Marentes

Well said Nickolas.......

RS-dos with a few minor patches using Assembler can be very satisfying.  AND user
friendly!

Fred,

PS,  If anyone's interested check out Rainbow - June 1989 - page 62.  Nothing
spectacular........ but I'm proud of it for an Self-taught country boy.

PPS,  Rodney V Hamilton,
         Thanks for the wiring info for the Blue Streak Ultima serial to parallel
interface