[Coco] RS-DOS blows??? The hell it does!!

Nickolas Marentes NickM at qm.qld.gov.au
Tue Sep 7 03:14:18 EDT 2004

> Yes, these unwashed masses still clinging to RS-DOS need to get with the
> program. In the year 2004, the cutting edge of 8-bit technology is all
> about NitrOS-9.
>
> Don't get left behind!

That's not nice.

I agree that NitrOS-9 is a great OS and certainly more powerful than RS-DOS
but I prefer RS-DOS applications over their OS-9 counterparts.

There are many very good RS-DOS based applications, tools and games for
RS-DOS. I just find that RS-DOS programs are quicker, easier to setup, and
many are quite professional for a computer such as the CoCo (Max-10,
CoCoMax, great games etc).

Sure, they don't multi-task, can't change devices so easily...but why would
I want to anyway? If I want to type a letter, I run VIP Writer3 or Max-10
and type it up (although nowadays I use a PC). If I want to run a game, I
just stick the disk in (or ROM Pak) and run the game. Nothing else to setup.

I'm on to my 3rd attempt over 15 years at getting to grips with OS-9 to get
to the stage of actually being able to write software to the level that I do
under RS-DOS. This time, I'm not going to let it drive me to insanity as it
has in the past. I understand the rules I must abide by under OS-9 and I am
giving myself more time to digest it all.

Don't expect anything great from me though, I still play with RS-DOS and
have many great ideas for new RS-DOS games but I do plan to learn and
appreciate the other beauties that OS-9 provides...all in good time.

I believe that each environment has something to offer to the CoCo
community. It's all down to one's motivation to learn and create the
applications under these environments.

Nickolas Marentes