[Coco] ceramics ...

mmarlett at isd.net mmarlett at isd.net
Fri Sep 3 16:23:43 EDT 2004

james,

Common knowledge for most. Kind of like telling my Son that just because
the RPM gauge runs in the RED doesn't mean the engine will run forever
there.

The GIME, TCC1014A....Same thing here, sure you can run it faster. I have
modified the XTAL to 32MHZ for a true 2MHZ and adjusted the internals of my
monitor to compensate. My experience has been that the GIME/motherboard or
whatever becomes unstable. This is my personal experience. Roll them back
and they work just fine. All my mod'd machines have all been returned to
stock speeds due to reliability reasons.

What overclocking have you done to the GIME and what were your results?
Please provide revision information, if relevant to your test cases.

Mark

>Kevin/Mark
>
>Digital IC's speed specification is the maximum speed for a device such as
there
>will guarenteed 100% compliance to the spefications of the IC. This is by
far not
>the fastest the IC can run. Speed is often determined at die probe and by
which
>package the die is placed in. Several parameters have to be taken in. Of
one of
>the primary parameters of concern is heat. While the package temperature
>maybe warm, but the actual die temperature can be as much a twice the
outside
>package temperature. The main goal is to keep the die temperature below
150
>degrees C. Heat is the ultimate killer of semiconductors. Above 150 C the
>physics of the semiconductor breaks down and all kinds of nasty things
happen.
>Eventually, in MOS devices, the channels that allow electron mobility
fail. Now
>you have a piece of silican  that is no longer functioning.
>
>Kevin you are right in one aspect, the ceramic parts can operate at higher
clock
>speeds than say the common injection molded palstic parts. Ceramic
conducts
>heat better the plastic.
>
>The second parameter that affects digital IC speed is the basic geometry
of the
>transistors used to make the gates and the fabrication process, NMOS,
HMOS,