FW: [Coco] Emulator problems

Stephen Blunt sblunt at agsecorp.com
Wed Sep 1 11:28:51 EDT 2004

WinAmp can be configured to not contact the internet. It doesn't use pop-adds
or any other advertising (or at least it didn't). I think if you disable the
skins it bypasses the security flaw. Real Audio, on the other hand (IMHO) is
the exact opposite. It tries to provide a news(?) service and is always
bugging you about stuff. Windows media player can be configured either way.

When I had a choice of players at work, I preferred WinAmp as it used the
least overhead.

Just my 2cents.

Stephen Blunt

> WinAmp is a competitor of Real Audio, a universal player for WAV, MP3, etc.

> sound and movie clip files.   Both of these apps like to take over lots of
> your
> PC, setting themselves up as the default for everything, and bugging you
with

> pop-up ads -- so while they're not viruses, some folks treat them like
> one
> :-)

I've never seen a popup from WinAmp. Nor does it attempt to access the
internet without my knowledge, the way Windows Media Player does every time
it runs. It also asks which files you want to associate with it, I deselected
wav files.

Bob