[Coco] Re: CoCo to SVGA converter?

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Sun Oct 31 20:51:22 EST 2004

Componert video has three components and is called component
video because at any instance of time the color signal can be
broken into four components Luminace, and three chrominance
signals R-Y, G-Y and B-Y. The three needed components for color
transmission are as follows:

Y	luminance
B -Y	Blue minus Luminance or Chrominace A
R-Y	Red minus Luminance or Chrominace B

The Y signal is governed by the following formula

Y = 0.3*R + 0.59*G + 0.11*B

The R-Y signal lies upon the x-axis and is vectorally rotated 90
degrees from the color burst. The B-Y would then lie on the Y-Axis
and be rotated 180 degrees from the color burst. Like the I and Q
signals transmitted in NTSC video The R-Y and B-Y are orthogonal
(perpendicular) to each other. The I and Q signals are shifted 33
degrees from the R-Y and B-Y signals.

G-Y can be derived from R-Y and B-Y by the governing equation

G-Y = -0.57*(R-Y) -  0.19*(B-Y).

By equally rotating the axis of all three components, Y,  R-Y, and B-
Y, all colors can be derived.

What this does is allows large color transmission in a relatively
small amount of bandwidth. What this does is place a higer burden
on the receiving equiptment to derive the RGB signal from the
components transmitted.

Oddly enough these are the same signals that come out of the
MC6847 VDG chip used in the Coco 1/2; Y, R-Y and B-Y.

james