[Coco] CoCo to SVGA

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at optushome.com.au
Thu Oct 28 18:29:02 EDT 2004

Robert Emery wrote:

> The CoCo puts out analog RGB at a synch frequency of 15 KHz.
> PC monitors accept analog RGB, but won't sync below 31KHz.

Most (early) arcade game monitors also operate at 15kHz...

> True and false... very few VGA monitors will sync to the
> lower frequency. Those that do are just as rare as a CM-8
> or other (Commie, Amiga) monitor.

The Commodore 1084S monitors are, I thought, pretty common-place? I've got
three here myself (and I'm in Oz)!!!

> A simple 3 channel A2D converter fed into an AL250 would
> give us basic RGBA to VGA capability, and there's no
> reason it should cost more than current composite to VGA
> convertors... in fact composite requires additional
> parts, so it *should* be cheaper.

As most people reading this thread are no doubt aware, any process that
re-samples analogue to digital (or converts one analogue format to another)
is going to degrade quality along the way. So doing anything with the
analogue RGB outputs on the CoCo is never going to look better than the
original signal (given comparable monitor qualities).

What would be interesting is taking the digital RGB from the CoCo before it
gets converted to analogue - if indeed it's not done inside a chip (I
haven't seen the CoCo schematics at all!) - and producing RGB suitable for
SVGA monitors from that.

Coincidently, over the next few months I'll be dabbling with video signal
generation. At the risk of boring everyone, my PACE project
<http://members.iinet.net.au/~msmcdoug/> is gathering momentum and my next
task is building a video core which will output both analogue RGB (at 15KHz
and 31kHz+ rates) as well as composite video. I'm also keen on doing a CoCo
at some stage too. Now all this is new to me atm but I should learn quite a
bit in the process and I'll be interested in working out exactly what
can/can't be done with the CoCo3 and modern monitors.

But don't hold your breath! ;)

Regards,