[Coco] Re: Path with Nitros9

Charlie chazbeenhad at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 20 16:02:02 EDT 2004

> Sure.
>
> The path, like any other shell variable, is set for that shell's
> instance.  If you look at the sequence of events in sysgo (which forks
> startup and the final terminal shell), it does something like this:
>
> 1. F$Fork "shell startup"
> 2. F$Fork "CMDS/autoex" (which usually fails since there isn't an
> autoex)
> 3. F$Chain "shell"
>
> Two separate invocations of the shell are forked above.  If you put a
> path= in the startup file, it will only remain for THAT invocation of
> the shell and will not filter to other shells.
>
> A potential enhancement would be to extend shell+ to read default
> parameters from its own 'startup' type file.  But doesn't that feature
> already exist?  The source code has a S.T.A.R.T.U.P string in it, so
> that leads me to believe that *somehow* shell+ supports a startup file
> of its own.
>
> I don't have the shell+ docs at hand at the moment.  Anybody care to
> track this down?
>
> Boisy

This is in shellplus.doc:

USER STARTUP FILE EXECUTION

The reserved word 'S.T.A.R.T.U.P' will cause the shell to attempt running a

file called 'startup' in the CURRENT directory. This is very useful when

running Tsmon/Login and you are changing the users working directory. If the

users directory is changed and then the program forked is 'shell
s.t.a.r.t.u.p'

the shell will try to run a startup file in the new directory and then
remain

active. If no startup file is present, no error is returned.

I don't really understand it, but maybe it helps?